Our destinations, best of what Yemen has to offer.

 

Kawkaban

 

An ancient historical centers and a fortified citadel about 2800 m above sea level, the city is walled from the north and is fortified naturally from the other directions. It was a capital of Bani Sharaf Al-Deen in the 9th century AH (15 the century AD). It is cauterized by beautiful architectural design. Most of its houses were destroyed in the past and were rebuilt. It was reputed as a school of music. It is said that it was named so because it had two palaces decorated with precious stones. Each of them was called “a star” (literally "Planet”), so it is Kawkaban (two stars) attributed to these two palaces.

<< Back to Destinations

 

 

 

Shibam

Shibam is historically known as Shibam Aqyan. It was an important center for what is historically known as "Sama'ai Triad" during the 2nd and 3rd century AD. The ancient town is now in ruins. Shibam in Sabean comes from the verb Shabam which means the "Goat" or cool and is a name of many places in Yemen like Shibam Haraz, Shibam Hadhramawt, Shibam al Ghiras Kawkaban. The classical sources refer it to Shibam Bin Abdullah Bin Asa'ad Bin Jashem Bin Hashid and the town was renewed as Shibam Aqyan in attribution to Aqyan Bin Zara'ah Bin Little Saba, who is one of the Himyarite Kings. It was mentioned in old inscription as Shibam Yahbas. The ancient Yemeni Geographer referred to it as Shibam Yafur who resided in it and built citadels and walls in addition tom castles, houses, mosques and vapour baths in addition to markets. A lot of the facades of Shibam are built with old stones some of which are carrying Mousnad inscriptions and it altitude is 2300 above sea level. At present the remaining Islamic era related houses are distributed into religious building such as mosques, tombs, Civil building like the Old Central Market, the Customs Office "Samsarat", Government Office "Employees Hall" and the Old vapour baths in addition to warlike building represented in the wall of the city, its gates, towers and all of them revert to the Ya'afuride Dynasty which adopted Shibam as its Capital as of 829 to 1100 AD. Shibam Kawkaban is fortified naturally, surrounded by the Mount of Kawkaban from three directions which can not be reached as for the remaining wall in the northern side of the city at the vicinity of the Old Bath, there are the remains of cylindrical towers, through which there are openings for arrow throwing. The Entrance (The Main Gate of the City): Shibam in the past had four Gates; none of them remains except the gate lying at the main road leading thereto. The renovation works were carried out for this gate, the latest of which is 1913 AD.

Thula

This city is just 50 km to the northwest of Sana'a and is part of Omran Governorate. Thula city is characterized by its temperate weather. The origin of the name "thela" is a subject of conjecture. Some historians believe that the city was named after Thala bin Labakha bin Aqian bin Himiar, the junior. Others believe that the name may have been derived from the word 'tha'lei' which means 'wealthy' in Arabic. This was later shortened to the more easily pronounceable Thula .

 

Hababa

It is located 45 km to the northwest of sana'a, and accessed via an asphalt-paved road that connects it with Sana'a, Thula and Shibam and extends to Mahweet. Hababa city is known for its pre-islamic history, fortified position, mild weather, quaint streets, alleyways and picturesque houses. It is also characterized by the amazing architecture of its mosques, and its methods of water preservation and drainage treatment. The region is regarded as an important tourist destination for its numerous monuments, attractive milieu, beautiful scenery and soaring, colorful mountains. This unique tourist destination is really a place where one can spend time.

 

Al-Mahweet

The province of Mahweet located to the northwest of the capital Sana'a, between longitude (43 -44) to the east and a latitude (15-16) to the north and rises from sea level (2100 m). It is away from the capital Sana'a a total distance of 111 km. It relates Haja province and part of the Amran province from the north, Sana'a province from the east, the provinces of Sana'a and Hodeidah from the south  and Hodeidah province from the west

 

Al Tawila

Located to the west of Sana'a on road leading to Mahweet city, the city rests at the foot of Al-Qaran'e mountain, which rises 2000 meters above sea level. The region is known for its historical forts, citadels and monuments that date back to the pre-islamic times. The fertile lands that surround the city have made it one of the most important  commercial and tourist destinations of the region since time immemorial. Like other mountainous cities, Al Tawila's design includes a grand mosque in the centre, flanked by the market with many divisions, each of which is assigned to a certain commercial commodity or handcraft. The city is enclosed from the eastern, southern and western sides by a fence that is interspersed with three main gates. The fence used to be supported by a number of defensive towers whose remains are still visible.

The Al Qaran'e fort which overlooks the city from the northern side was built as a fortified citadel on a rocky height, and is one of the most impenetrable forts in Yemen. Access to the fort is via an entrance on the eastern side which leads to a court. This in turn points to a number of upward stairs on the eastern side, which finally lead to the top of  the citadel. There are many  other forts, including Al Shamekh fort built over a steep hilly rock which overlooks the city center from the northern side and is accessed from the southern side. In recognition of its importance, Al Shamekh fort was mentioned in the events of (188-189 A.H/1415-1416).

Al Tawila city has preserved its architectural and artistic heritage. This has helped in making the city a destination for tourists who are awestruck at the Yemeni's abilities to harness nature, overcome the ruggedness of land, adept to nature, and safeguard the arable land. In short, the city is like an open museum that delineates the miracles of the place since time began.

 

Hajaah

Hajaah province located to the north-west of the capital Sana'a, and away from it about 123 kilometers. The  population of the province accounted for (7.5%) of the total population of the republic, and  it occupies the fifth place among the  governorates in terms of population. Hajaah city is the centre of  Hajaah province, and the most important cities are Hardh and Abss. Agriculture and grazing  are the main activities  of the population as the province produces about  6.8% of the total crop production in the Republic, and the most important agricultural crops are fruits, cash crops, vegetables and grains, as well as beekeeping and fish farming in the coastal areas. The province is bordering Saudi border, so it has a distinct commercial business shown in  the  transport and trade activities through the port of Hardh city, which is one of the most important customs port in the Republic of Yemen. There are in the territory of the province some  important metals, the most are gold, copper, nickel, cobalt, marble, feldspar and quartz. The major tourist attractions in the province are many and varied, the most important is Aldhafeer  village, home to a number of Yemen's Imams, including Imam Sharaf al-Din and Al-Mahdi Ahmed Ben Yahia  Bin AL-Murtaza.

 

Shaharah Bridge

Soon after passing Al Qabai, the famous seventeenth century bridge comes into view, which joins the Jebel Al Amir and the Jebel Feesh. This astonishing work was constructed by the architect Salah Al–Yaman to connect the settlement of Shaharah tough limestone blocks.